14 May 2012

Vegan Mozzarella




I did it! I finally made vegan cheese. Meltable, delicious vegan cheese. The very cheese I’ve had all the ingredients for since the beginning of the semester but never got around to making. All I have to say right now is I’m so happy of myself! If you believe in yourself (and read the following post), you can learn how to make vegan cheese! And thumbs up for rock and roll!


I adapted my recipe from a recipe I found here.


Ingredients
1 package Extra Soft Silken Tofu
1 cup Vegan Heavy Cream
1/2 Tbspr Salt
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Rice Vinegar
6 tsp Agar Flakes
1/2 cup water




Blend until smooth the tofu, heavy cream, salt, garlic power, and vinegar (I used a magic bullet for this--it blends it a very creamy consistency). Transfer to a small sauce pan and stir in the agar flakes and water. Bring to a boil on medium, stirring frequently. Boil until the agar flakes are almost completely dissolved (about 20 minutes), adding water if necessary doesn't boil down too much. 



Pour into a large loaf pan and place in fridge until completely cooled.




There you have it. It does taste slightly tofu-y, but not over-poweringly so. It’s good vegan equivalent to mozzarella. It slices/shreds really well and melts pretty well too. When it’s melted it doesn’t have that stringiness that real cheese has, but it still taste delicious.




I ended up using my cheese on a pizza with sauteed onions, mushrooms, and spinach. I definitely recommend you do the same.


13 comments:

  1. That looks amazing! What did you use for vegan heavy cream? I haven't found that in stores in my area yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually make my own heavy cream using raw cashews. I have a blogpost about it here: http://livingmypinterestlife.blogspot.com/2012/04/vegan-heavy-cream.html

      Delete
  2. This looks great, thank you for the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my boyfriend is allergic to peanuts and cashews...can we use something else?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this & will blog about it! IT IS A REVELATION!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you make it and what did it taste like? Did you add Nutritional yeast to it for a Cheesy style taste?

      Delete
  5. If you used tapioca powder in place of the agar powder would it have the stretchiness of dairy Mozzarella?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it would. I like this recipe the best! https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/how-to-make-fresh-vegan-moxarella-cheese/

      Delete
  6. How many grams is one package?
    Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loaded with fat though....just like cheese only plant-based which is good. But as Dr. Greger & Dr. Lisle say, "the fat you eat is the fat you wear"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Confused about this comment. If the heavy cream is only cashews, where does the unhealthy fat come in? I don't see any hydrogenated oils here?

      Delete
  8. I made this and the flavor is amazing. The only thing is I couldn't get it solid enough to grate. I've made it 3 times and all 3 times it wouldn't grate. The last time I let it cook down 30 minutes and let it cool in the fridge but still couldn't get it to grate. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete